Arthritis is one of the common diseases in some countries suffered the young and old. The disease attacks the joints and supporting tissue structures around the joint so that it can cause pain. In severe levels, rheumatoid arthritis can even cause permanent disability, disability and reduced quality of life.
In society, is still growing myths and false assumptions about the disease. Though these myths are misleading when examined from the medical side and could harm the patient.
Internist and rheumatologist Rheumatology Division, Faculty of Medicine, University of Indonesia (medicine), Dr. Bambang Setyohadi, explains the myths and facts about rheumatic diseases.
Here are his points:
A. Frequent bathing the night at a young age lead to arthritis in old age. In fact, so far there is no corroborating evidence that would lead to a bath tonight rheumatic diseases. In principle, a night shower or a bath of cold water does not cause arthritis. “In patients with rheumatoid arthritis, a cold shower can make the muscle stiffness or spasms. These conditions usually make the joints, causing pain depressed,”.
2. Eating spinach caused kankung or rheumatism. There is no research that links between spinach or kale with riisko rheumatism. “Even if that should be avoided, if you are destined to suffer from arthritis are foods that can trigger a purine or material will be converted into uric acid such as organ meats, seafood or alcoholic beverages,” said Bambang.
3. All rheumatic diseases caused by uric acid. “In fact, only about 10 percent of people with high uric acid arthritis. Many patients with high uric acid would not have arthritis,” said Bambang. According to him, uric acid in the blood that will not necessarily lead to higher rheumatism. “Rheumatic Disease occurs when uric acid accumulate in joints and monosodium urate crystal deposits forming. Disease,” he explained.
4. Rheumatic disease is a disease of bone. In fact arthritis is a disease that attacks the bones and joints made up of various types of which are osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. Osteoarthritis most commonly affects the large joints that support weight, such as knee joints, hip, spine, back and neck even though it was likely to attack other areas as rheumatoid artiritis due to immune system attacks the synovial membrane lining the joints or the whole clan involved organs body, can cause disability.
5. Just after elderly rheumatic diseases. In fact, rheumatic attack everyone, young and old, men and women depending on the type of rheumatic disease. In the rheumatic type of osteoarthritis primarily affects people aged over 45 years while the type of Lupus Erythematosus attacking young women of childbearing age but also on any person. Men are more susceptible to gout.
6. Rheumatic disease is hereditary. In fact, arthritis is not necessarily derived directly from parent to child. “However, there is a tendency to be risk factors of family factors such as the occurrence of arthritis Rheumatoid Arthritis, Systemic Lupus Erythematosus and Gout,” said Dr Bambang.
7. Bone pain at night is a sign of arthritis symptoms. In fact, the symptoms that commonly occur in patients with rheumatoid arthritis are stiffness and inflammation of the joints (red, swollen, painful, hot and generally difficult to move). This phenomenon is not limited in the evening. Can strike at any time.